Saturday, August 13, 2016

A time of celebration

Temple Trip:  
Last Saturday was a temple trip for the Ovalle Sur Branch, with whom we have been doing so many Family History Family Home Evenings.  We spent almost two weeks before the trip helping them with their family history and preparing names for the temple.  Just before the trip, our Mission President came for missionary interviews, and while he was here he did 13 temple recommend interviews, mostly for members attending the temple for the first-time, from Ovalle Sur!

We went to the temple with them, and what a blessing it was to watch them help each other perform the ordinances for their ancestors and have a good "first time" experience in the temple.

We were inspired to hold these Family Home Evenings in Ovalle Sur.  The Lord knew they were ready and would respond.  They did, and the blessings they will receive will be more than they can imagine.  The strength it will add to their Branch cannot be measured.

La Programa de la Clase de Piano:
Last Sunday, ten of my piano students came together in one of the chapels.  They each played two hymns and directed two hymns for an audience of about 50 family and friends. Like I have said before, I could write a book about what it took to get them to the point of playing a hymn, but they all played and directed.  With one minor exception, they did remarkably well.

A few months ago two or three of them were still struggling to read music and had very little sense of melody or rhythm.  They would actually sing along as they played, often singing a few measures ahead of their playing--and with a melody even I didn't recognize--and not being aware of any of it!

I finally came up with a way to rewrite some of the hymns and make them easy to read and play.  I chose 12 hymns they really liked (some that are not in our English hymnbook) and gave copies to the students who needed them. When I showed them how to follow what I had written, and how easy it was to play a hymn, their faces lit up with enthusiasm and an "I can do that" look.

It allowed some to play in the program who would not have, otherwise.  When they use the organ setting on the electronic pianos in the chapels, they actually sound pretty good.

Part of their responsibility when they "signed up" to get a keyboard and learn piano was to help teach other.  I have appointed four of them as teachers and they will continue class on saturday mornings at one of the chapels.  I am going to pray a lot for them!

I have come to love each one of my students.  I am grateful for the Lord's help in every way, and for the Harman Foundation that provides the keyboards and learning materials.  These sweet people now see themselves as someone who can play a hymn, which is something they never dreamed they would have the opportunity to do.  (Pilar, the one directing music below, sent on my phone a video of her playing "I need thee every hour" and said that it was a hymn she always wanted to learn to play.  Now she knows how--and I didn't even teach it to her.   She learned it out of the book by herself because she can now read music!)


This is Salvador playing and Pilar leading. 



Here they are receiving their Certificates of Achievement (and also another Certificate saying that they now officially own their keyboards).

These are the flowers they gave me at the end.   It was a fun and rewarding evening.




The Zone had a birthday party barbeque for me--it was P Day and they don't need much excuse to have fun together.  Here they are singing "Cumpleanos Feliz" to me, just seconds before this cake was smashed into my face!

Our Monte Patria Elders so proud of their mathematical equation for converting people!


Last night our branch--Ovalle Norte--had a party for us.  People took turns expressing their feelings for us and sharing the experiences we have had together.


 The Relief Society President (below) organized it and spoke quite a while.  There was great traditional Chileno food and dancing.  


It was wonderful.  They are like family to us.


 Some entertaining photos you might enjoy!



       A gypsy camp just outside of town.  There are several tribes that wander throughout South America.  They do not have to answer to border restrictions (passports) between countries.  They are a very interesting group of people.


A chileno hearst (coche funebre).  Funerals are big and dramatic here.


These last 4 pictures are friends from my running route:


My street sweeper friend.  Spends the whole week sweeping the gutters in our neighborhood.  Then does it again the next week, and the next.  We have become good friends.  He is holding a postcard I gave him of Delicate Arch.  


These men, and several others "hang out" on a certain corner of the street pretty much all the time.  There is evidence in the photo of what "consumes" their day.  The one on the right holding the bottle says a full-bellied "good morning" to me every time I run by, so proud of his two words in English.


This is Miriam.  She owns the store on the corner of the park where I run.  She is really sweet and we have become good friends.  She has a Book of Mormon.


And this is the man who keeps the park clean, watered, and pruned.  Since the day my stuff got stolen last March, he insists on keeping my jacket in his wheelbarrow so he can protect it.  I gave him a Book of Mormon last week and he said he could tell it had good teachings in it and that he will read it at night.


Well, this has been a great experience.  Since we know we will probably never see these people again, saying "good bye" is full of hugs, kisses, and tears. We will leave next Thursday and explore a few days on our way to Vina.  An interview on Sunday the 20th with our Mission President, departure dinner on Monday, temple trip and flight from the airport on Tuesday.  Our hearts are full of love and tender memories.  

Our testimonies have grown tremendously as we see the Lord's constant guidance of missionaries.  It is His work, and it has been a great privilege to be part of it.

See you soon!

With much love,

Elder y Hna. Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment