Tuesday, October 20, 2015


I feel the earth....move.....under my feet!  (The song Elder Cluff starts singing whenever we feel an earthquake!)



I am NOT exaggerating--we have had several earthquakes a day since the BIG ONE on Sept 16th.  We thought at first that they were aftershocks and would, according to my vast knowledge of earthquake behavior :), stop within a week or two.  So maybe at first they were, but now we have come to expect a rumble/shake/rattle several times a day.

This morning I was lying in bed rehearsing Spanish to myself when the first one hit--not too bad, I thought, but then about 10 seconds later a much bigger one occurred, lasting about 20 seconds, and more than a bit scary.    Later we looked on earthquaketrack.com and found that it was a 5.4 centered close to Ovalle, where we live. (That is an interesting website if you want to follow what's happening here.)

We have felt them outside a few times and that is a very different experience.  We were at a nature park yesterday and standing on rocks when we heard a rumble and the rocks started to vibrate. Actually feeling the earth we are standing on rumble and shake is really strange.  It almost seems like the earth is angry.

 In our apartment building the rumble sounds at first like distant thunder, then comes in force, making the building feel like it is actually bouncing.  We have tied down the computer so it won't fly off the desk.   Other breakables have been moved to lower and safer locations.

Valle del Encanto
(Valley of Enchantment).  This is like a national park about 20 miles south of Ovalle.  We have been there three times now.  It is beautiful.  Yesterday we went with one of the missionary districts in our Zone.  They wanted to spend the day together because transfers come tomorrow and they are anticipating some of them will be transferred.  We love watching the friendships develop between these missionaries, especially between the companionships.    Some members came also.  A few pictures of missionaries, flowers, and Inca petroglyphs and pictographs:
















When I was taking a picture of this flower my wrist brushed against the stem and leaf, and caused an instant burning feeling similar to stinging nettle.  Like most desert flora, it's survival strategy is "don't even think about touching me!"

                                 We have no idea what this is, except that it is a beautiful tree.

It is hard for me to describe the feeling of awe I have when I see a new flower for the first time.  There have been many of those moments here.  God's creativity is manifest in the uniqueness of every living thing, and especially for me, flowers.

Emely's baptism
Emely, 16, the sweet girl in our apartment building, got baptized two weeks ago.  She asked me to play a special musical number and dedicate it to her.  I put three hymns together and it turned out pretty well.  She has a beautiful spirit and will be a great missionary to her family and friends.

 She was at school about a month ago (Catholic school) when she was expected to take her turn to pray before class.  She said she couldn't do it.  When asked why she said she was getting baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and they didn't pray like that.  The teacher said to pray however she wanted!  Which she did.  Apparently it made quite an impression.

                   Elder Cluff baptized her.  Here she is with her mother, the elders, and Cluffs.

We have had several YSA baptisms lately.  They are wonderful young people, full of hope and anticipation.  Three of them came to institute last Saturday, and we loved watching the beginnings of testimony and new friendships.  It was definitely a high point for us.

Danae, the girl on the left, was just baptized.  The boy on the far left is an investigator, and two of the other boys are preparing for missions.  Elder Santa Ana, our District Leader, is in front.


We have received approval for a combined YSA and missionary choir to sing a special number in District Conference in a month.  There is much excitement for it.  After listening to both groups sing, I cannot say which one loves to sing more (or which has more talent).  I can't wait!

Our friend, Harol, has a special attachment to Elder Jones.   He is a Young Single, and is a very unique individual.  I think he would move in with us if he were invited.  Church starts at 10:00 am, but he came to our house Sunday morning at 9:00 ready to go with us.  We were, of course, not ready yet, but before we left, I took this picture of them together.

He is the only member in his family.  He told us that his dad and brother were going to the beach on Sunday, but he wanted to come to church.  And he is now wearing a suit, which is a lot better than the sports outfits he has been wearing.  We love watching the transformation these young people go through when they start feeling a part of things.

Brownies:    I often bring a treat to institute or District Meeting (or other special occasions, which means I bake a lot) and on the internet I found a cheap and easy recipe for brownies.  No one here makes brownies, so it has caused quite a sensation.  Several have asked me for the recipe.

 Maykol, (wearing the striped tie in the group picture above), our friend who is a YSA and was baptized a while after we arrived here, asked me if I would teach him how to make them.  He came over last week.  They turned out great.  He made them at home the next day and brought them over asking, "what happened?"

They had a nice smooth dry top, but everything below was still batter.  We laughed, and then he said he had an electric oven, which makes a huge difference.  On my gas oven, there is no temperature gauge, so I just put the dial in the middle.  Also, no heat comes from the top.  So baking in it is a little tricky.

He wanted to make some for Institute, so he tried again and brought them.  They were still a little gooey, but delicious!  Everyone was so impressed that he could make brownies.  He loved the attention, and I loved not having to make them!

Elder Santa Ana asked me to teach him how to make gravy!  (He ate it for the first time at our house a few weeks ago.)  That should be lots of fun!

Spanish is getting easier, we are more confident talking to people, and more relaxed about making mistakes when we talk.  What's wonderful about this is that Elder Jones is finally able to be himself and let his light and love shine through.  People feel it, and love being with him, especially Elder Gutierrez, one of our zone leaders, who is constantly challenging him to thumb wars, regardless of who wins.

We love you all.  We see the Lord's guidance as we serve, and are grateful for it.  We are also very grateful for all the support we feel from you!  God bless you!

Elder y Hna. Jones



1 comment:

  1. As usual, Connie, LOVED your blog! I am so excited that you and Ross are having this wonderful opportunity! Love and prayers are with you! HUGS! Geo

    ReplyDelete