This is an experiment in learning how to set up a blog. Thanks to April for help. She says it will be easier with photos and more fun to read than emails. So here goes...................
Matrimonio Jones
is the name of our blog because that is what we are called here! This picture appears on the front of our mission looseleaf that contains all the rules and expectations of missionaries in this mission.
So we decided to name our blog:
matrimoniojones.blogspot.com
when we write a blog we will send an email message saying that there is a new blog. You can click the link and the blog should appear. Hope it all works.
Ovalle reminds us somewhat of southern California and northern Mexico. There are palm trees and other vegetation that indicate that it does not freeze here. The flowers are beautiful. This Bird of Paradise makes me think of my Grandma Evans for some reason. It was in a yard along the walk to the chapel. By the way, while I was out running a saw an aloa vera plant that was almost as big as a VW beetle. And it had beautiful red blossoms on it!
The highlight of this week was a YSA activity Friday night. We met at one of the branch buildings at
8:15 pm. People were arriving of all ages. We grasped for words as we introduced ourselves. A few came who knew a little English, so that helped. Apparently school here gets out about 6 pm each day so Mutual is held at 8:15 on Friday nights! Also YSA when they have it. I wonder how many would come to Mutual in the states on Friday night? Institute is on Saturday night at 8 pm!
When all were there, we walked about a mile to the Branch President`s home and had dinner. It was great fun. Wonderful leaders and young people. I took some cookies I made and when I was asked for the recipe I had to write it in Spanish. The only hard part was the mixing instructions. I think I got it right. We both had a great time talking to them and listening to what was happening in their lives. Ross got right into the conversation and drew all of them to him like he is so naturally good at. It was wonderful!
This is a photo of the YSA group at the dinner.
We are making progress in all kinds of things. Spanish, indexing, YSA, and even some contacts. We finally came in contact with that man from the hardware store that we met the first week. When we were there buying some things he noticed our name tags and asked if we were there for religion. We said yes and he gave us his name and work schedule. We tried several times to find him at the store but after about 10 days we finally found him. Actually, he found us. Ross was buying something and I was standing there in the store looking at the employees trying to remember what he looked like. He noticed me and came right up to me. I had a bag with his name on it with a Book of Mormon inside and a Restoration pamphlet and a few other things. I explained what was inside the bag and gave it to him. He hugged it, smiled, and said it made him very happy. We got his phone and address and gave it to the missionaries the next day.
The second contact was a man that Elder and Sister Cluff and I met on our way walking home from the church about a week ago. A few days later I saw him while I was out running and talked to him a while. He gave me his name and phone so he could find out more. Said he knew where the church was. He has a beautiful countenance. Hope the Elders can reach him.
Discovery: it is impossible to roll an R with a mouthful of food.
District conference is coming in about two weeks. I just went down to listen to the choir practice and they were singing Let Us All Press On. So now I have to learn it in Spanish. I have a hymn book and a keyboard at the apartment, so I will get on it!
A sweet young man is getting baptized this Saturday. We are all excited. Tell you about it next week.
Love to all of you. Feliz cumpleanos, Eliza!
Elder and Hermana Jones



Ross & Connie, We are excited to hear of your experiences and pictures here on your blog. Love you guys!
ReplyDeleteYou sound happy! Great to hear about your missionary experiences. We are all going to try to trill our R's at dinner tonight. Vincent thinks it can be done with a mouth full. I will let you know how it goes.
ReplyDelete